In alignment with Board Policy 6:280, Grading and Promotion, a middle school student shall not be promoted based upon age or any other social reason not related to academic performance.
Promotion of a middle school student will be determined based on the student meeting both of the following requirements:
- Passing at least 3 of the 4 core subjects each year
- Completion of 18 weeks of Health Education
Students failing to meet the requirements to move onto the next grade will be provided remediation opportunies through the school. The final decision to promote a student to the next grade level will rest with the administration and a student's academic progress on standardized assessments.
8th Grade Recognition Ceremony and Dance
The middle school 8th Grade Recognition Dance is traditionally held toward the end of the school year and is for 8th graders only. Attendance at this dance is a privilege, not a right. Students may be denied the privilege to attend the dance and/or the recognition ceremony for the following reasons:
- Unacceptable behavior
- 10 or more unexcused absences
- Unpaid fees that have not been resolved or addressed through an established payment plan
- Not meeting the requirements stated in the 8th Grade Promotion Requirements [see below]