A student or group of students seeking to distribute more than 10 printed or digital copies of the same material on one or more days to students must comply with the following guidelines:
1. The student(s) must notify the Building Principal of the intent to distribute, electronically or in writing, at least 24 hours before distributing the printed or digital material. No prior approval of the material is required.
2. Printed material may be distributed at times and locations determined by the Building Principal, such as, before the beginning or ending of classes at a central location inside the building.
3. The Building Principal may impose additional requirements whenever necessary to prevent disruption, congestion, or the perception that the printed or digital material is school-endorsed.
4. Distribution must be done in an orderly and peaceful manner, and may not be coercive.
5. Distribution must be conducted in a manner that does not cause additional work for school personnel. Students who distribute printed material are responsible for cleaning up any materials left on school grounds.
6. Students must not distribute material that:
- Will cause substantial disruption of the proper and orderly operation and discipline of the school or school activities;
- Violates the rights of others, including but not limited to, material that is libelous, invades the privacy of others, or infringes on a copyright;
- Is socially inappropriate or inappropriate due to the students’ maturity level, including but not limited to, material that is obscene, pornographic, or pervasively lewd and vulgar, contains indecent and vulgar language, or sexting as defined by School Board Policy and Student Handbook,
- Is reasonably viewed as promoting illegal drug use; or
- Is primarily prepared by non-students and distributed in elementary and/or middle schools. This item should not be included/considered in/for high school student handbooks.
7. A student may use the School District’s Uniform Grievance Procedure to resolve a complaint.
8. Whenever these guidelines require written notification, the appropriate administrator may assist the student in preparing such notification.
A student or group of students seeking to distribute 10 or fewer copies of the same printed or digital publication on one or more days to students must distribute such material at times and/or places and in a manner that will not cause substantial disruption of the proper and orderly operation and discipline of the school or school activities and in compliance with items 4, 5, 6, and 7 above.
Round Lake Area Schools Community Unit District 116 Policy, 7:310, Restrictions on Publications; Elementary Schools
Round Lake Area Schools Community Unit District 116 Policy, 7:315, Restrictions on Publications; High Schools